Hospital IQ Announces Powerful New Solutions to Manage and Improve Operating Room Block Utilization
October 7, 2015
Hospital IQ, a leading hospital analytics platform applying proven operations science to increase efficiency in Operating Rooms (OR), Emergency Departments (ED), and inpatient units, today announced enhancements to its Surgical Planning solution that enable perioperative leaders to systematically improve OR block utilization. The new user-friendly tools allow hospitals to make more effective use of prime time OR hours by streamlining the alignment of surgical block schedules with OR capacity, as well as by predicting unused blocks in advance so that appropriate scheduling and staffing actions can be taken.
The enhanced Surgical Planning solution replaces manual, time-consuming spreadsheet analysis with automated, web-based, granular block reporting and provides actionable block planning and management tools that ensure maximum use of OR resources. The Surgical Planning solution complements existing surgical information systems, including EPIC’s OpTime® and Cerner’s SurgiNet®.
The newly released enhancements include:
- Efficient Reporting: Automated data feed into a cloud-based dashboard streamlines historical block utilization reporting and establishes a sustainable vendor-maintained system.
- Detailed OR Utilization: Data visualizations allow practice managers to track historical utilization at the service, surgeon, block and individual case level to drive sub-block reallocation decisions.
- Unused Block Predictions: Predictive analytics identify block time that is at risk of going unutilized to inform schedulers and service-line managers to take appropriate action.
- Efficient Block Planning: Scheduled case data visualizations allow practice managers to efficiently determine the utilization of future blocks.
- Conflict Detection: Practice managers ensure blocks accurately reflect the hospital-wide allocations with real-time alerts of discrepancies.
- Multi-Campus Planning: Solutions designed to optimize OR utilization across multiple sites to drive network-wide efficiencies.
“Hospital IQ’s Surgical Planning creates a framework for accountability. For instance, I can work with departments to set the expectation that days with, say, less than 50 percent OR utilization require an explanation. In the past, it would take hours of work to compile this data,” says Yi-An Huang, Director of Procedural Operations at Boston Medical Center. “I am also excited about the ability to predict future block usage to proactively improve efficiency.”
“Surgical operations have a major impact on the quality and cost of care within a hospital, yet many institutions lack tools to help them effectively plan and manage such a complex operation. We are pleased to provide the leading analytics solutions to allow institutions to tackle this complexity and improve the delivery of care,” says Rich Krueger, CEO of Hospital IQ.